Greg Miller (right) on the set of “The Big Year” with Jack Black.
Greg Miller, noted birder from “The Big Year” book and movie, created a series of eleven tours for Wildside’s 2016 schedule. These birding trips, all within the lower 48 states, and gave many participants a huge boost toward their own big year, while raising $27,000 for the ABA’s youth birding projects!
So in 2017 we will continue the Big Year Series of tours to help birders reach their goals while helping the ABA Young Birder programs again!
Greg is an eBird guru, a master of using the information others have shared. Combining his passion for birds with his database programming knowledge, he has determined when and where to bird, to reach maximum efficiency of travel while providing the highest bird totals. In 2017, however, Greg’s co-leaders from the 2016 trips will be taking over much of the leadership for Greg. Leading a tour every month while also doing speaking engagements and festivals is a lot of hard work, so Greg will be slowing down (a little bit) and has hand-picked other Wildside leaders to run some of the tours for him.
Wildside will again team up with the American Birding Association (ABA) to help raise money for a great cause… young birders! We want to get more kids excited about birds and being outside! For each participant that joins a BIG YEAR SERIES tour, Wildside will make a donation to the ABA’s youth birding program. Each participant joining a BIG YEAR SERIES tour will have the option to gather sponsors to donate toward this excellent cause, plus observers of the progress of the Big Year Tours will be able to make a pledge… like a 365-day bird-a-thon!
Back in 1998 when Greg did his now famous big year, he racked up his credit cards to well over $31,000.00. Yikes! Well, we will help you get a lot of birds for a whole lot LESS than that! Each of the tours are weekend to weekend (with some exceptions), and some trips run over federal holidays. A couple of the trips have optional extensions or may be combined with our new Short Trips for Target Species tour series.
To help with your quest, Wildside is also offering some special ‘package pricing’ for registering for 3, 6 or 10 trips at the same time.
1) Register for 3 – 5 BIG YEAR tours and save $50 per tour.
2) Register for 6 – 9 BIG YEAR tours and save $100 per tour.
3) Register for 10 BIG YEAR tours… and get the 11th tour for FREE!
Note: Discounts will be reflected on your final invoice, $500 deposit required for each tour.
GREG MILLER’S BIG YEAR SERIES 2017 TOUR SCHEDULE
- 2017 January
- 2017 Jan 7 - Jan 14 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
- 2017 Jan 29 - Feb 4 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: CENTRAL FLORIDA
- 2017 February
- 2017 Feb 8 - Feb 12 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: Winter Owls
- 2017 April
- 2017 Apr 15 - Apr 22 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: SOUTH TEXAS IN SPRING
- 2017 Apr 29 - May 6 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: Follow the Birds to ‘The Biggest Week in American Birding’
- 2017 June
- 2017 Jun 4 - Jun 10 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: MAINE: Mountains & Coast
- 2017 Jun 24 - Jul 1 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: MONTANA: Prairies & Potholes
- 2017 August
- 2017 Aug 13 - Aug 19 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: SOUTHEAST ARIZONA
- 2017 September
- 2017 Sep 3 - Sep 9 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
- 2017 Sep 17 - Sep 23 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: PACIFIC NORTHWEST
- 2017 October
- 2017 Oct 8 - Oct 14 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: MID-ATLANTIC – CAPE MAY & HAWK MOUNTAIN
- 2017 November
- 2017 Nov 1 - Nov 13 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: HAWAII ENDEMICS
- 2017 Nov 5 - Nov 11 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: TEXAS RIO GRANDE VALLEY
- 2018 April
- 2018 Apr 27 - May 4 :: Greg Miller Big Year Series: Follow the Birds to ‘The Biggest Week in American Birding’
MORE TOURS TO BE ADDED!
DOWNLOAD OUR EXPECTED TOUR SPECIES COMPARISON AND EXPECTED TARGETS TO HELP CHOOSE YOUR TRIPS2016 Big Year Tours – Species Comparison By Tour PDF 2016 Big Year Tours – Select Targets by Tour
And be sure to view our final SPECIES TOTALS FOR 2016!
Known as a ‘budget minded birder’, Greg will be using the new Leica Trinovid HD binoculars… Leica quality at a more affordable price! Leica is also a legacy sponsor of the ABA Young Birding programs.